Craft things are exploding everywhere. Craft beer is the first thing that comes to mind, especially here in ‘Murica (I heard that Europeans, normally the standard bearer of quality beer, is jealous of how awesome American craft beer is becoming).
I am glad that craft “anything” is being celebrated, because it’s the celebration of things that are high quality and made with care and love.
Something that I think would be very fun to learn would be craft soda. Soda is synonymous with unhealthy, sugary, unnatural drinkin’, but there are ways to take all natural ingredients and turn them into a flavorful carbonated drink.
I want to learn more about craft soda (even perhaps try to make one myself), and it seems intimidating at first when one looks at the ingredients:
- ginger root (no problem there, love ginger)
- licorice root (sure, I guess that’s easy to find at Whole Foods)
- chicory root (I’ve heard of chicory before, that’s got to be easy to find)
- sarsparilla root (umm…I’m pretty sure the last time I heard that word was when I was watching Loony Toons)
- and burdock root (that’s got to be something J.R.R. Tolkien came up with, a.k.a. I have no idea where to get that)
Interesting ingredients, and so many more botanical items and rich spices are used. I love it.
If you are in Washington, D.C., check out Wildcraft Soda. I had them at the farmer’s market and it was an amazing tasting experience. I hope craft soda explodes in popularity.